Tuesday 18 November 2008

One stop shop

In my comfort zone buying things I know about, from sites i have used before, I quite like the 'magic' of internet shopping. This is a completely different kettle of fish, don't know really what I am buying and looking on all new sites for the bits.

While I only wanted a couple of main bits I wanted to get them somewhere that had all the bits I would need for the project, I am always a bit dubious about handing over my my credit card details to a new web site, then the wait and wonder if anything will turn up. While the internet banking gets frequent random spot checks on the Credit Card balance.

Turns out all accelerometers are not created equal, there are a few quite options to choose from, I decided on the LIS3LV02DQ Triple Axis Accelerometer mounted on a breakout board.
http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=135 At close to 30 quid not the cheapest option, but was thinking it would be more versatile if required for some yet to be dreamed up future project.

Went to local(ish) electronics shop to get a few bits and bobs,
Jump leads
Red/Green/Blue LEDs - I want as one unit but these are cheap and will do for the first stage.
3x 1KOhm Resisters (I think)
Header pins to solder to the breakout board of the accelerometer.

And ordered the Arduino Diecimila and Accelerometer, and mini board from http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/.

The other site I found very useful was http://www.sparkfun.com/ is has a wider range of components, but opted for Cool Components as it is UK based.

Then in for the down side to Internet Shopping for physical objects... the wait

No comments: