Tuesday 18 November 2008

The postman only knocks once...

The doorbell is broken!

Was expecting the delivery so was keeping an eye out, saw the postman on his way up the other side of the street so was halfway down the stairs when he knocked.

The package was surprisingly small, well not so if I had put 2 and 2 together, the image from the web site the specifications that said it is 75x55mm, the accelerometer on the breakout board 20x20mm, the chip itself 5x5mm, glad I didn't think I would 'have a go' a soldering that up myself.

I had spent a bit of time looking around the Arduino site, http://www.arduino.cc, and was surprised to find installation instructions for OpenSUSE Linux, that is rare! And find I am jumping through hoops to get things working following some other flavour of Linux's usually Ubuntu based instructions that just don't work the same.

Anyway after extracting the Adruino development environment, installing the following dependencies,
  • avrdude
  • avr-libc
  • cross-avr-binutils
  • cross-avr-gcc
all was well. Went through the basic tutorials, Blinking LEDs etc, so was happy that the board arrived intact and in working order. I put the small expensive bit (Accelerometer) to the side, to avoid an over egar half arsed attempt at wiring that up and cooking something.

No comments: